How it works
- Safety check: OptiMate 5 must be connected to a battery (retaining minimum 2V) to activate its output.
- Desulphation and recovery: if due to sulphation the battery's resistance is abnormally high, a voltage of up to 20V is automatically applied to overcome this so as to recover very flat or neglected batteries until they are able to accept the normal charge program.
- Bulk charge: a constant current of 2.8A efficiently brings the battery close to full charge.
- Charge verification: as soon as the rising resistance causes the charge voltage to reach 14,3V, the voltage is limited at 13.6V for 30 minutes while the circuit monitors the actual voltage and the current absorbed by the battery. If within 30 minutes the automatic circuit judges that the achieved charge is less than optimal, the program reverts to bulk charge and the process repeats.
- Charge retention test: when the monitored parameters confirm that an optimal charge has been achieved, the first check for battery (and connected system) power leakage commences. Depending on the voltage retained during 30 minutes, an "OK" (green LED) or "not OK" (red LED test result is displayed. These 30-minute test periods repeat hourly until the OptiMate 5 is disconnected, so that the battery status indication is continually updated.
- Charge maintenance: during alternate 30 minute periods, at a float limit of 13,6V the battery is offered charge current (up to the maximum) it needs to sustain it against any small connected loads or power leakage and against natural self-discharge. OptiMate 5 can stay connected to the battery indefinitely and the battery will stay cool and safe. And optimally charged. Of course.
AGM / MF, STD, GEL and spiral cell batteries from 7.5Ah to 120Ah
5 stages, fully automatic
Input current max:
0.35A @ 230V
Typical annual energy cost:
less than £1.00 per year (continuous maintenance)
Reverse drain current:
less than 1 mA
Output current (bulk charge):
Charge time limit:
Safe to leave connected for months
Maintain / test cycles:
30 min/30 min (alternating hourly)
Charge retention test:
2 possible results - ‘good’ & ‘bad’
200 x 75 x 61mm
easy direct wall mounting
Input cable length:
Output cable length:
O1 (SAE-71) weatherproof eyelet lead; O4 clamps lead for bench charging
Operation temperature range:
-40°C / +50°C
Certification (230V model):
Diagnoses, recovers, charges, checks & maintains your battery automatically for months. All major battery manufacturers recommend maintaining starter batteries FULLY CHARGED during periods of non-use. OptiMate 5 is totally safe for months-long connection and maintenance of irregularly or seasonally used batteries even while still connected to the vehicle. The sophisticated charging algorithm ensures no risk of over-charging.
Suitable for all types of rechargeable 12V lead-acid batteries: filler cap types; absorbed glass mat (AGM or "MF"); valve regulated (VRLA); GEL-electrolyte. As simple as 1-2-3: Just connect OptiMate 5 to your battery, the rest is automatic. Electronically protected against user errors. There is no switch, no fuse and there are no sparks.
Delivered with two interchangeable SAE connection sets, one with clamps for bench charging, the other with in-line protection fuse and eyelet terminals for permanent connection to the vehicle’s battery to allow easy reconnection of charger when necessary.
Optional accessories include additional fused permanent connection leads (O1); cigarette lighter plug lead (02) to charge via the cigarette lighter or DIN socket (as found on some BMW, Honda & Triumph touring motorcycles); 1.8m and 4.6m extension leads, weatherproof sockets to provide a convenient 12V supply for sat-nav, MP3 player, mobile phone charger, PDA etc. and much more.
Certifications: TUV/GS conformity. 3-year warranty.
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Optimate SKU 593522 Manufacturers Part No. OPT5 TM220BS Product Group Battery Chargers